The Austen (from "Australian Sten") was a 9×19mm Australian submachine gun derived from the British Sten gun developed during the Second World War. In total 19,914 Austens were produced during the war by Diecasters Ltd of Melbourne and W. T. Carmichael Ltd of Sydney.
A folding kayak is a direct descendant of the original Inuit kayak made of animal skins stretched over frames made from wood and bones. A modern folder has a collapsible frame made of some combination of wood, aluminium and plastic, and a skin made of a tough fabric with a waterproof coating. Many have integral air chambers inside the hull, making them virtually unsinkable.
The harbour defence motor launch (HDML) was a 72 ft (22 m) long British-designed motor vessel used for harbour defence during World War II. Nearly 500 were built by numerous Allied countries during the war.
HMAS Black Snake was a Snake-class junk built for the Royal Australian Navy during the Second World War. She was launched in 1944 and commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy on 30 December 1944. She was used by the Services Reconnaissance Department (SRD) and was paid off on 3 November 1945, before being handed over to the British Civil Administration in Borneo.
The Motorised Submersible Canoe (MSC), nicknamed Sleeping Beauty, was built by the British Special Operations Executive (SOE) during World War II as an underwater vehicle for a single frogman to perform clandestine reconnaissance or attacks against enemy vessels.
The MV Krait /ˈkraɪt/ is a wooden-hulled vessel famous for its use during World War II by the Z Special Unit (Z Force) of Australia during the raid against Japanese ships anchored in Singapore Harbour. The raid was known as Operation Jaywick.
A storepedo, or alternately storpedo, is a cylindrical storage container with an attached parachute. Resupplying troops in the jungle by air drop during World War II was proving problematic. Regular parachutes were costly in both money and material. Drops without parachutes risked loss of the materials due to the impact.
The British Type 3 Mk. II, commonly known as the B2, is arguably the most well known spy radio set used during WWII. It was designed in 1942 by (then) Captain John Brown at SOE Station IX, and manufactured by the Radio Communication Department of the SOE at Stonebridge Park.
The Welrod is a British bolt action, magazine fed, suppressed pistol devised during World War II by Major Hugh Reeves at the Inter-Services Research Bureau (later Station IX). Station IX, being based near Welwyn Garden City, gave the Welrod its unusual name, being derived from "Wel" from "Welwyn Garden City" (a prefix used by covert equipment designed by Station IX) and "rod", gangland slang for gun, as a way to obscure its purpose.
Winnie the War Winner was a radio set built by Sparrow Force during the Battle of Timor in 1942. The radio re-established contact between Sparrow Force and the Australian Army in Darwin on 19 April 1942. At the time, the Allies believed that Sparrow Force had been captured by the Japanese Army. By then, Sparrow Force had fought a guerrilla campaign isolated from Australia for 60 days.
The Mornington Railway Preservation Society (MRPS), which is a non-profit incorporated association that manages the MR, was formed out of a public meeting in 1984 with the objective of securing access to the then-closed Mornington railway line.
The Box Hill Miniature Steam Railway Society, is a group of Miniature Steam Railway enthusiasts, whose founding members joined forces to build and maintain a dual gauge ( 5 and 7 1/4 inch) Miniature Railway.
Part of a larger tourist attraction complex Como Gardens Railway is a short length of 650m of track traverse over three creek trestle bridges, through an extended laburnum arch then back to the "Como Gardens" station, on a 7 1/4" track.
DVR was established in 1960, with the aim of providing people, who are not normally railway men and women, with the opportunity of building and operating a real passenger carrying railway system in miniature.
The HOBSON’S BAY MODEL RAILWAY Club (Inc.) was formed in 1988, when a group of then Public Transport workers, got together and decided to acquire one of the many disused government operated Railway’s buildings, in order to form a truly Australian based modeling group.
Established in 1945, the Australian Railway Historical Society Victorian Division Inc. has a proud history of over 70 years of catering for all who have an interest in the railway history of Victoria. It has a growing membership of over 500 members throughout Australia and overseas.
Seymour Railway Heritage Centre is dedicated to preserving Victorian railway rolling stock in operating condition so that it can run on the main line railway network in a heritage environment for the benefit of the people of Victoria.
At the time of its construction, Rob Roy was one of only three bitumen surfaced purpose built hill climbs in the world, the other two being Shelsley Walsh and Prescott (UK). Its origins go back to 1935, when representatives from the then Light Car Club of Australia inspected the property known as Clinton's Pleasure Grounds, with a view to establishing a suitable venue for the hillclimb meetings.