A delicious summer dessert, which is very nice for winter too!
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 3 teaspoons icing-sugar mixture
- 150g butter, chopped
- 1 egg-yolk, lightly beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup cornflour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 4 egg-yolks
- 60g unsalted butter
- 4 egg-whites
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- Grease a deep 24cm fluted flan tin.
- Sift flour and icing sugar into a medium bowl; rub in butter. Add egg-yolk and enough water until ingredients cling together. Press dough into a ball; knead gently on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Cover; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface large enough to line prepared tin; trim edge. Place tin on an oven tray. Line pastry with baking paper; fill with dried beans or rice.
- Cook in a moderately hot oven, 190°C, for 10 minutes; remove paper and beans. Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until pastry is browned lightly; cool to room temperature.
- FILLING. Combine cornflour and sugar in a medium pan. Gradually stir in juice and water; stir until smooth. Stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens (mixture should be very thick). Reduce heat; simmer, stirring for 30 seconds. Remove from heat; quickly stir in rind, yolks and butter. Stir until butter is melted. Cover; cool to room temperature.
- MERINGUE. Beat egg-whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved between additions. Fold in cornflour.
- Spread Filling into pastry case; top with Meringue.
- Cook in a moderate oven, 180°C, for about 5 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned. Stand for 10 minutes before serving.